During the 1600′s, Dieppe, France was a flourishing seaport and a major commerce center, one of the first in France. The Merchant Prince, D’Ango or the Medici of Dieppe (as he became to be known), brought great supplies of elephant tusks from India to the port of Dieppe. The abundance of this material helped to establish Dieppe as a center known for its fine ivory carvings.1
Although Dieppe lost its status as a thriving port after the bombardment during the war of 1694 with England, the unequaled delicacy of the ivory carvings that were produced is still recognized today.
- Photos and description courtesy of Youssef Kadri.